Tarta de Santiago
An ancestral recipe from Spain, extremelly easy to make with just a few ingredients!
- 125 g Almond meal Almond flour works too, or just make it from raw almonds
- 125 g sugar
- 3 eggs
- Zest of 1 lemon, or 1/2 lemon peel + 1/2 orange peel
- Pinch cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C and butter a 7" round pie pan with a bit of butter. Dust with some flour, or sugar and put in the fridge while continuign with the recipe.
- Separate egg whites and yolks into two different bowls. Add sugar to the yolks, a pinch of salt, and whisk until they turn pale yellow.
- Fold in zest and almond meal / flour. Add the cinnamon if using. Mix well and set aside.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg whites without breaking in the yolk and sugar mixture.
- Remove pie pan from the fridge and pour the mixture. Cook for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden. Make sure a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
- Let the pie cool on a wire rack. Once cool, you can dust it with icing sugar and make the typical Santiago cross canvas.
- The pie can be left at room temperature for 1-2 days, or 4-5 days if kept in the fridge.